Congas, Bongos, Timbales, Djembe, Cajón & Brazilian Percussion
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), Brooklyn College, 1980;
- Masters Degree (MA), City University, 1998;
- Multiple Workshops in Latin Percussion and West African Drumming
SKILLS & SPECIALIZED TRAINING:
- Congas (any level)
- Bongos (any level)
- Cajón (any level)
- Timbales (beginner – intermediate)
- Djembe (beginner – intermediate)
- Berimbau, Pandeiro, Tamborim, Cuica, Surdo (beginner – intermediate)
Steve Jones is originally from the East Coast (NJ & NY) and moved to Seattle in 1980 where he began teaching in the Seattle Public Schools and The Seattle Drum School. He moved to Bellingham in 2001. His MA in education and 30 years of certificated classroom instruction makes him an ideal teacher for all levels of instruction; specializing in the rhythms of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil and West Africa.
“Teaching is my calling, music is my passion, and teaching hand drumming is –
la combinación perfecta.”
Steve’s major influences in percussion include Mongo Santamaria, Poncho Sanchez, Michael Spiro, Luis Conte and Naná Vasconcelos.
Steve performs regularly on percussion & bass with the bands Bilongo Quintet, Sabrina y los Reyes, Batucada Northwest, Triptych, Zoo Patrol, and Arête Quartet.